Professional Professonals Practicing Their Professions

On a recent trip to California I was driving down a street in Westminster and I couldn't help but stare at all the odd signs (mostly because I was going through a small section of the town that is almost primarily made up of Vietnamese restaurants). Before I continue I think I have to address the elephant in the post... Yes I said I was driving, and yes I know that wasn't a good choice to stare at signs whilst driving (it was for the sake of comedy people!). So here I am driving down the road trying to phonetically pronounce all the Vietnamese restaurant names (some favorites were: Cafe Dang Sucks, Pho Thang Long, Co La, Pholicious, Photastic, and as an FYI "Pho" is phonetically pronounced "Fuh")

As a quick aside, some names that I would like to see (if they're not out there already) are: Pho Sho, Pho Shizzle, Elmer Phod, Mo Pho and I pity the Pho.

I'm veering a little this way and that when I see a sign that really caught my attention. The sign simply read, "Professional Pharmacy". After seeing this I simply thought, "Who would want to go into an 'Amateur Pharamcy'?!" That got me thinking, there are just some jobs that you DO NOT want the word "amateur" in front of.

Listed in no particular order below are, "Jobs that are NOT okay to have the word 'AMATEUR' in front of":

Tattoo Artist
  • At no point do I want an amateur permanently drawing something on my body. It could turn out like these:
 
Teacher
  • Just imagine you get to your child's Open House and the teacher hands you his/her business card and it says:


Mechanic
  • A conversation you do not want to be a part of:
You:
"My car has been making this funny clunking sound when I go faster than 50 mph, can you take a look at it and see what's wrong?"

Mechanic:
"Sure, you want me to check your radiation fluid and how well your terminator is keeping your battery charged too?"
Dentist
  • Seeing the dentist take a hit of the "laughing gas" is the last thing you want to be thinking about before he/she starts drilling.

Financial Advisor
  • If you walk up to your Advisors office and see this:


Proctologist
  • I doubt I need to elaborate on this one. If a proctologist says, "I don't know heads from tails," and doesn't mean it as a joke you may want to ask for a referral.

I will leave you with this simple nugget of wisdom on this subject:

The word "amateur" is for a hobby (i.e. artist, comedian, hunter, gambler, etc. it's okay to be an amateur in these subjects), however if you study something and make it your "profession" then you being a "professional" is implied. I don't need to know you're a professional doctor or a professional lawyer, I can safely assume that you are. This coming from an amateur blogger...

    1 comment

    Chad Liston | August 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM

    You could add hairstylist there. Haha although it is easier to pose as a professional while only being an armature in my business. Sadly.

    Post a Comment