God and His Issues

As my last post pointed out one of the biggest problems with youth today is entitlement. Even though this post's topic is also entitlement, I am posing a different question. Does God have entitlement issues, because if He does, doesn't that make us an entitled people?

Roll with me: If God is in His nature an entitled being and we bear His image, than aren't we made in an image of entitlement. So youth having an attitude of entitlement is completely within their (pun intended) God given right. Nothing else on Earth bears God's image and by bearing God's image we (humans) differ from all other creatures because of the self-reflective, rational nature of our thought processes - our capacity for abstract, symbolic, concrete thought processes and decision-making.

Roll a little further with me: Who has the worst entitlement issues? God does. He wants us to give Him our lives before He gives us His Kingdom. He created us, so He wants what he deserves before He gives anything to us. If I have my theology right, we are not truly His until we are baptized in His name, thus dying and being reborn (correct me if I'm wrong). If I have this right, God wants us to die before He gives us anything? Sounds entitled to me. Just because God gave me life, He gets to take it away?

So if I have this right: God has entitlement issues, we are made in His image (we bear His image), we have entitlement issues too. It's simple math really x+y=z, if x=God and y=Mankind then z=Godkind... wait no, if x=God and His entitlement issues and y=Mankind then z=... Wait how can x equal two different things. Maybe it should be ab+c=d, because then ab=God times his entitlement issues and c=Mankind then d= the angle contained between sides of lengths a and b and opposite the side of length c. Hold on that was the law of cosine... So maybe the math isn't so simple.

What I've learned through writing this post is that this is a very confusing topic to write about. Why? Because I do think that God is the number one person... being... entity... whatever you want to label Him, that deserves everything from us without having done anything for us, but if that's entitlement (which it is) and we are made in the image of God, then how is it not okay for us to have the same issue?

Sorry, but this is turning out to be a 3 part series... I'm trying to keep the posts more toward the shorter end, so as to keep my readers attention (yes, I do think you have the attention span of a goldfish). Come back next week when I list the reasons why it's okay for God to be entitled.

Reply to this post

Post a Comment