Fight for Fight Club

                       Contest:

Win a free *signed* copy of Fight Club.


                    The Process:

  1. Go to my Facebook Fan Page
  2. Like my Page
  3. Refer your friends to my page
  4. Have your friends like my page and leave a comment on the wall with your name.
  5. The fan with the most comments after 2 weeks will win the *signed* copy of Fight Club.


Chuck Palahniuk is hands down my favorite author of all time. He had been writing for 6 years (that's 5 novels) before I discovered his genius. The only reason I even found out about him was because of the movie Fight Club. I finished watching it for the 2nd time when I actually paid attention to the credits. If you have ever seen Fight Club, after the 1st time you are too in AWE to do anything for a while (the credits just roll and all you do is try not to drool too much). Nevertheless, the second time watching, one of the first lines to hit the screen at the end of the movie reads, "Based on the novel by Chuck Palahniuk," this caught my attention; one because I couldn't believe this crazy movie was a book, and two because I love to read crazy books!

I am Jack's never ending love of literature.

I immediately found a copy of Fight Club and immersed myself into Chuck's world. It was a break-neck, take no prisoners, take-it-or-leave-it type of world. A world where unrestrained human emotion is written with vivid description, emotion you can taste. Chuck Palahniuk is able to take a side of humanity that is constantly present, yet never discussed and turn it into a story with characters more real than those tears you cried when you lost your fist love to a flesh eating bacteria. No? Am I the only one that happened to?! Regardless, he writes 'real-life' real well. I have never looked back, I have read everything he has written previously and put out since.

Fight Club:
"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time," (Chapter 3).

Honest, raw and ballsy, nuff said. You really shouldn't need more than that shining endorsement from me to run out and buy this book and not put it down until you have read it from cover to cover. This book gives you a true look at what it means to be alive, what life would resemble if you acted on every and all impulses. This story is an existential ride that can only be compared to an elevator falling down a 30 story shaft and killing a large group of the cutest bunnies you have ever seen. Pain is pleasure and pleasure is pain.  Fight Club is a constant reminder that to comprehend life you have to consciously forfeit everything. This book doesn't give the reader a moment to breathe between the characters complete self destruction and complete self discovery.

We are never formally introduced to the main character, we can only refer to him as 'the narrator' which only adds to the inherent mystery of self discovery seen in this novel. We are, however, introduced to Tyler Durden; he is primal, masculine, arrogant, self-pleasing, self-defeating and impulsive. Tyler Durden is the epitome of the male ego, but Chuck is such an amazing writer that he found a way to create a character that anyone (men or women) can relate to. I can only explain this by the fact that human beings share a commonality in primal urges, and Tyler Durden is the ultimate representation of Freud's id from Freud's schema of psyche. Fight the system, fight your world, fight for freedom from yourself. Just remember if you dare join, "Only in death are we no longer part of Project Mayhem," (Chapter 28).


This is the only time I will disregard the first 2 rules of Fight Club and tell you to TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!

2 comments

James David | November 9, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Shameless plugging eh? You're dirty. And I like it.

Question - is it really signed by Chuck, or did you have a stamp made or did you forge his signature. How do we know it's real, and not some fake off the street. Do we have to pay for shipping? Or is that considered part of the prize?

Thanks!!

AJ Teaters | November 9, 2011 at 11:25 AM

It IS really signed by Chuck and I will explain that to the winner, second I'm no creative enough to make a stamp and forge it.

You do not have to pay for shipping that is included in the prize package

The winner will be notified via Facebook on November 23rd.

Post a Comment