How did we live?!

It has become frighteningly clear that I am completely dependent on every aspect of technology. Do I dare remember the days before iPods, cell phones, digital cameras, portable dvd players, Tivo, DV-R, Axe Body Spray, CD's and Notebook Computers?! Not only does my iPod play music from its' own personal hard-drive, but it also let's me surf the Internet where the Internet is now broadcast "invisibly" through the air! Does anyone remember when a cassette tape was an amazing thing to have, and e-mail was unheard of? Instant messaging, text messaging, mySpace, Facebook, Twitter?! How in the world are we supposed to keep up with everything that is surrounding us; understand it, utilize it, technology mutates faster than comprehension.

I don't want to come off as anti-technology that's not what this post is about, it's more about the memory of simpler times. The image that keeps popping into my head is Zach Morris from Saved by the Bell with his giant cell phone that was the only thing that he could fit into his back pack at one time. I still don't remember him ever really using it that much either. The only reason this comparison has any relevance is because I feel the same way about my cell phone today. How I loath the moment that it rings it's downloaded mp3 ring tone, I check my free caller ID feature, and low and behold it's someone I could care less about talking to. Not that I'm too busy, but just the fact that I don't want to talk to the person on the other end. I would so much rather them text message me, so I can text them back and have no real human contact. Technology has completely erased the tactile face of society. Sure we can reach out and touch pretty much anyone and anything, but look at how much we are now taking for granted.

The #1 beef I have with the advances in technology is print. The printed word is an endangered species. Books no longer hold their vast mystery and appeal. Pursuing library or book store shelves for hours just to look and possibly find the next great novel of your life. It's a lot more difficult to throw a book away in the trash than just delete it off your iPod or eBook Device. My question is why would someone pay $350.00 for an eBook that is close the the same size as a normal paperback book, when you could buy 25 real books for that price... or 2 textbooks ;). But you still have to pay for the book to download it to the device so you are basically paying an extra $350.00 for a book cover? I am proud of my small library of books that live on my 2 book shelves. Yes, they collect dust and take up space, but they talk about the type of person I am (likes, views, ideas, values).

ANYWAYS!!! While we navigate through an ever changing technological jungle, we remember that there is someone on the other end.

Reply to this post

Post a Comment